Statement released by CAIE regarding May/June examination

Grade X to A level

Ref. No: STD/VA/20/142

Dear Parents,

This statement has just been released by the CAIE:

‘We note the Pakistan government’s decision that examinations across the country will not take place until 1 June. This includes local and Cambridge examinations. Some Cambridge examinations are scheduled to take place from 1 June, and as of now, we anticipate that they will run in Pakistan as planned. We are working in collaboration with the government of Pakistan to ensure the safety of students, and provide them with academic continuity in this very challenging situation.

Our priorities are to ensure the safety of schools and students and to minimise the impact to students heading for university, ensuring that we can support them in their progression to higher education. Therefore, we are working with universities to assist them in recognising student potential. We will also now plan for running a full exam series in October and November for students who are not able to take them in May and June. The Cambridge May/June exam series runs in countries throughout the world, and goes ahead in agreement with local governments.

We understand the pressure students and parents are under in these unique and challenging circumstances, and how tough it is for them. Both Cambridge and the government of Pakistan are trying to make the best decisions possible for students at this time.‘

We felt that it was important to share this news immediately as there have been a number of conflicting reports and a degree of clarity was required

In summary, the CAIE  June examination will take place globally as planned. But as per the Government directives the British Council can not arrange for Cambridge examinations to be conducted  in Sindh and Balochistan until 31st May 2020. Examinations scheduled for after that date may still take place. However, students have options to either withdraw their entries and obtain a full refund or transfer to the October/November 2020 series. This decision does not need to be made immediately but the deadline is 10th April 2020.

We are keeping track of the situation as it evolve and unfolds and Inshallah we will do our best to support our students in this difficult and challenging time. We will continue to keep you updated.

May Allah bless us all with health and may Allah keep our country safe.